Is CBD Payment Processing Considered High Risk?
CBD payment processing is generally considered a high risk activity in the financial industry due to the legal and regulatory uncertainties surrounding the sale and distribution of CBD products. CBD, or cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis plants, and its use in various products has become increasingly popular in recent years.
However, the legal status of CBD products is complex and varies by jurisdiction. In the United States, for example, CBD is legal at the federal level if it is derived from hemp plants with less than 0.3% THC. However, many states have their own laws and regulations governing the sale and use of CBD products, and some jurisdictions still prohibit CBD entirely.
These uncertainties make it difficult for payment processors to determine the risks associated with CBD transactions. As a result, many payment processors view CBD payment processing as high-risk and may charge higher fees or require additional security measures to mitigate the risk.
There are also concerns about the quality and consistency of CBD products, which can vary widely in terms of potency, purity, and other factors. This can increase the risk of chargebacks or other payment disputes, further complicating the payment processing landscape for CBD merchants.
While CBD payment processing may not be inherently high risk, the legal and regulatory uncertainties surrounding the industry make it a challenging area for payment processors to navigate.
Is it Legal to Sell CBD Online?
The legality of selling CBD online depends on several factors, including the source of the CBD, the laws in the business’s jurisdiction, and the regulations of the platform being used to sell it.
As stated above, CBD derived from hemp is legal under federal law in the US as long as it contains less than 0.3% THC. However, CBD derived from marijuana is still illegal under federal law, although it may be legal under certain state laws.
If a business is selling, or considering selling, CBD online, it is important to ensure that the product comes from a legal source and contains less than 0.3% THC. Also be sure to research the laws in the business’s jurisdiction to ensure that all laws and regulations are complied with.
It is also important to keep in mind that some platforms have strict restrictions on the sale of CBD products. Therefore, it is important to check the policies of the platform being used to sell the products to avoid breaking any rules and being kicked from the platform.
How to Find a CBD Payment Processing Provider
If a business is in, or thinking about entering, the CBD industry, they may be aware that finding a payment processor that will work with the business can be a challenge. Many traditional payment processors won’t work with CBD businesses because of the complex regulatory landscape.
However, there are payment processing providers that know the ins and outs of working in the CBD industry and are willing to work with businesses in it. It is important to know the right way to look for a payment processor that will be able to best help the business succeed.
When searching, keeps these tips in mind:
- Research online. Start by doing a Google search for “CBD payment processing provider.” Find a list of companies that specialize in providing payment processing services to CBD businesses
- Check for experience. Once a list of potential providers is formed, check to see how long they’ve been in business and how much experience they have working with CBD businesses. Look for providers that have been in business for at least a few years and have a proven track record of success
- Look for transparency. It’s important to work with a payment processing provider that is transparent about their fees, terms, and conditions. Look for a provider that clearly outlines their fees and doesn’t have any hidden fees
- Check for compliance. Make sure the provider is compliant with all the regulations governing the CBD industry. This includes being registered with the FDA and following all state and federal laws related to the sale of CBD products
- Read reviews. Finally, be sure to read reviews of the payment processing providers the business is considering. Look for reviews from other CBD businesses to get an idea of their experience working with the provider
Keeping these tips in mind should make it much easier for the business to find a payment processor that is willing to work with them in the CBD industry!
Finding a Merchant Account for CBD Payment Processing
Similar to looking for a payment processor, it can be hard to find a merchant account willing to work with a business in the CBD industry because of all the uncertainties that come along with it.
A business looking to start in the CBD industry should keep these things in mind when searching for a merchant account:
- Look for a payment processor that specializes in high risk industries. Due to the nature of the CBD industry, many payment processors consider it a high-risk industry. Therefore, it may be helpful to look for a payment processor that specializes in working with high-risk businesses
- Research the payment processor’s CBD policy. Before signing up for a merchant account, make sure to research the payment processor’s policy on CBD. Some payment processors may not work with businesses that sell CBD products at all, while others may have specific requirements or restrictions
- Compare costs. Like with any other payment processing service, it is important to compare rates and fees to find the best deal. Keep in mind that payment processors that work with high-risk industries may charge higher fees
- Consider the merchant account provider’s reputation. Make sure to do some research on the merchant account provider’s reputation before signing up for a merchant account. Look for reviews and testimonials from other CBD businesses that have worked with the provider
- Be prepared to provide documentation. To open a merchant account for CBD payment processing, the business may be required to provide additional documentation, such as proof of legal compliance, product information, and sales data. It is best to be as honest as possible
Finding a merchant account for CBD payment processing may take some effort, but it is possible to find a provider that can meet the unique needs of a CBD business.
What to Look For in a CBD Payment Processor
In the CBD business, finding a reliable CBD payment processor can be a challenge. However, there are payment processors that will work with CBD businesses, but it is important to look for certain features to get the best experience possible.
Experience in the CBD Industry
Look for a payment processor that has experience working with businesses in the CBD industry. This means that they will be familiar with the regulations and restrictions surrounding CBD products, and will be able to help you navigate the payment processing landscape.
The more experience in the CBD industry, the better. It is best to avoid payment processors with just a couple of months experience. To get the most out of a payment processor, they should have several years of experience working with multiple different businesses in the CBD industry.
Transparency in Price
Make sure that the payment processor is transparent about their pricing and fees. Hidden fees can quickly add up and eat into business profits. Look for a payment processor that offers clear pricing with no hidden fees. This will also ensure the business doesn’t get any surprise bills and can afford it with their income.
It is essential to ensure that the payment processor chosen offers top-notch security for their payment processing. Look for a payment processor that is PCI compliant and uses encryption technology to protect customer payment information.
Different companies will offer different levels of security for their transactions. Be sure to choose one that has all of the security features the business needs for their customers to feel comfortable paying.
Multiple Payment Methods Accepted
Customers prefer to be able to pay with the payment method of their choice, and if they can’t, they’ll shop somewhere else. Choose a payment processor that accepts a wide variety of payment methods to ensure customers can pay however they wish.
Quick and Reliable Payouts
A business can’t operate if they don’t receive the money they earned from their customers. Do some research on the payment processor’s payout times and read reviews to make sure their payments are reliable.
Benefits of a CBD Payment Processor
A business in the CBD industry will experience so many benefits from working with a payment processor that specializes in CBD and knows the rules and regulations. Some of the benefits include:
- Legitimacy. Using a CBD payment processor can help establish legitimacy for a business. By using a payment processor that specializes in CBD transactions, businesses can demonstrate their credibility and establish trust with customers and partners
- Security. CBD payment processors typically have high levels of security to protect sensitive financial information. This can help prevent fraud and protect businesses and customers from potential data breaches or hacks
- Convenience. CBD payment processors can offer a variety of payment options, including credit cards, debit cards, ACH transfers, and other electronic payments. This can make it easier for customers to make purchases, and can help businesses streamline their payment processes
- Compliance. Since CBD payment processors have experience working with businesses in the cannabis industry, they are familiar with the legal and regulatory requirements for these businesses. By using a CBD payment processor, businesses can ensure they are in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Increased Sales. By offering more payment options and providing a seamless checkout experience, businesses can increase sales and improve customer loyalty. Accepting credit and debit card payments can attract new customers who might not be comfortable using cash or other forms of payment.
Use EMerchantBroker For All of Your CBD Payment Processing Needs!
If your business sells, or is thinking about selling, in the CBD industry, use EMerchantBroker for your payment processor! Apply today and get a quick approval!